Sectarian Shootings


Muslims : New Zealand : Christchurch mosque shootings




Wikipedia : Christchurch mosque shootings


The Christchurch mosque shootings were two consecutive terrorist shooting attacks at mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, during Friday Prayer on 15 March 2019.[6]


The attacks began at the Al Noor Mosque in the suburb of Riccarton at 1:40 p.m.and continued at the Linwood Islamic Centre at about 1:55 p.m.[7][8][9][10]


The gunman live-streamed the first attack on Facebook Live.[11]


The attacks killed 51 people[12][13] and injured 49.[3] Brenton Tarrant, a 28-year-old Australian man, described in media reports as a white supremacist and part of the alt-right, was arrested and initially charged with one murder.[14][15][16][17]


Tarrant was later charged with 51 murders, 40 attempted murders, and engaging in a terrorist act; he pleaded not guilty to all charges, with the trial expected to start in May 2020.[18]


The attacks have been linked to an increase in white supremacism and alt-right extremism globally[19][20] observed since about 2015.[21][22]


Politicians and world leaders condemned the attacks,[23] and Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern described it as "one of New Zealand's darkest days".[24]


The government established a royal commission of inquiry into its security agencies in the wake of the attacks, which are the deadliest mass shootings in modern New Zealand history.[25][26]



Christchurch mosque shootings
Part of Terrorism in New Zealand
Canterbury Mosque 12 June 2006 (adjusted levels).jpg
The Al Noor Mosque in 2006
The mosques are located in Christchurch, New Zealand
Al Noor Mosque
Al Noor Mosque
Linwood Islamic Centre
Linwood Islamic Centre


Location Christchurch, New Zealand
Date 15 March 2019
1:40 p.m. (NZDT; UTC+13)
Target Mosque attendees
Attack type
Mass shooting,[1] terrorist attack,[2] shooting spree
Weapons Two semi-automatic rifles, two shotguns
Deaths 51[3]
  • 42 at the Al Noor Mosque
  • 7 at the Linwood Islamic Centre
  • 2 later at Christchurch Hospital
Charges 51 counts of murder
40 counts of attempted murder
One count of engaging in a terrorist act








Fifty-one people, 47 male and 4 female, were killed in the attacks: 42 at the Al Noor Mosque, 7 at the Linwood Islamic Centre,[8] one who died shortly after in Christchurch Hospital, and another who died in the hospital on 2 May, seven weeks after the attacks.[64][86][3]


Those killed were between 3 and 77 years old.[87]


The hospital's Chief of Surgery said on 16 March that four had died in ambulances en route to the hospital.[88]


On 17 March, Commissioner Bush said 50 other people had been injured in the attacks, 36 of whom were being treated for gunshot wounds in hospital.[12][13]


Two were in a serious condition, and a 4-year-old girl was transferred to Starship Hospital in Auckland in a critical condition.[89]


In the days following the attacks, dozens of people remained missing[90] and several diplomatic offices and foreign ministries released statements regarding the number of victims from their nations.[91][92][93]


Police requested that people listed as missing though actually safe register themselves on the Restoring Family Links website.[94]


The New Zealand Red Cross published a list of missing people which included nationals of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Indonesia, Jordan, Malaysia, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.[95] Among the dead listed in New Zealand Police media releases were citizens of Bangladesh, Egypt, Fiji, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Jordan, Malaysia, Mauritius, New Zealand, Pakistan and Palestine.[96][97][98][99]


A Turkish citizen died in hospital in early May.[3]


Atta Elayyan, an IT entrepreneur and player in the New Zealand futsal team, was among those killed.[100][101]





Police charged Brenton Harrison Tarrant, a 28-year-old Australian man, with murder in relation to the attacks.[102]


At the time of his arrest, he had been living for a few years in Andersons Bay in Dunedin.[103]


He was a member of a South Otago gun club and practised shooting at its range.[104]


He grew up in Grafton, New South Wales, attended Grafton High School,[105] and worked as a personal trainer in his hometown from 2009 to 2011.[106]


Around 2012, he started visiting a number of countries in Asia and Europe. Police in Bulgaria and Turkey are investigating his visits to their countries.[107][108]


He became obsessed with terrorist attacks committed by Islamic extremists in 2016 and 2017, started planning an attack about two years prior to the shootings, and chose his targets three months in advance.[109]


Security officials suspect he had come into contact with far-right organisations about two years before the shooting, while visiting European nations.[110]


He donated 1,500 euros to Identitäre Bewegung Österreich (IBÖ), the Austrian branch of Generation Identity (part of the Identitarian movement) in Europe, as well as 2,200 euros to Génération Identitaire, the French branch of the group, and interacted with IBÖ leader Martin Sellner via email between January 2018 and July 2018, offerring to meet in Vienna and a linking to his YouTube channel.[111][112][113]


Captivated with sites of battles between Christian European nations and the Ottoman Empire, he went on another series of visits to the Balkans in 2016–2018, with Croatia, Bulgaria, Hungary, Turkey and Bosnia-Herzegovina confirming his presence there in these years.[114]


He posted a slew of Balkan nationalist material on social media platforms,[115] and called for the United States to be weakened in order to prevent events such as the NATO intervention in Kosovo in response to a Serbian ethnic-cleansing campaign against Muslim Kosovo Albanians.[45][114][116]


He said he was against intervention by NATO because he saw the Serbian military as "Christian Europeans attempting to remove these Islamic occupiers from Europe".[45][116]


Three years prior to the attacks, he praised Blair Cottrell as a leader of the far-right movements in Australia and made more than 30 comments on the now-deleted "United Patriots Front" and "True Blue Crew" pages.


An Australian Broadcasting Corporation team who studied the comments called them "fragments and digital impressions of a well-travelled young man who frequented hate-filled anonymous messaging boards and was deeply engaged in a global alt-right culture."[117]


A Melbourne man said that in 2016 he filed a police complaint after Tarrant allegedly told him in an online conversation, "I hope one day you meet the rope".


He said that the police told him to block Tarrant and did not file an investigation.


The police said that they were unable to locate a complaint.[118]